Saint Mary’s University is home to a diverse, inclusive community of more than 7,500 staff, faculty, and students. The University also has an internationally-connected network that includes more than 50k alums. The University has been refreshing and expanding minds for more than 200 years.
Today, because of outstanding research and programs, it has grown to become Nova Scotia’s second-largest University for research in terms of research revenue.
Saint Mary’s University is home to one of Canada’s most prestigious business schools and one of the top business schools in Canada, a Science Faculty widely recognized for its cutting-edge research, an extensive and ingenuous Arts Faculty, and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. In this article, we will discuss Saint Mary’s University and Saint Mary’s masters programs in detail.
About Saint Mary’s University
One of Canada’s most prestigious undergraduate institutions, known for its international collaborations, entrepreneurship, and research. We offer programs in the fields of Arts, Science, Business, and Graduate Studies to 7700 students from more than 118 nations.
The campus is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the east coast of Canada; Saint Mary’s University is famous for its landmark buildings, green spaces, and fresh ocean air. Our campus is located in Mi’kma’ki, which is the ancestral territory and unceded, belonging to the indigenous Mi’kmaq.
Saint Mary’s University Saint Mary’s University community is dedicated to a bright future for all humanity – a globe without limits.
At Saint Mary’s University, a solid spirit of belonging, active students and faculty, an entrepreneurial spirit, and genuine research is evident in the surrounding communities around our campus. Our students, researchers, and faculty are all driven to contribute positively and make a difference in the world.
Must Read: Easy Medical Certificate Programs in 2022
Why You Should Select Saint Mary’s University
1. Learning by doing
Here at Saint Mary’s, we believe students learn faster and more effectively when they put their theory to practice within the actual world. To achieve this, we provide experiential learning opportunities in labs, co-op programs (internships in all faculties), travel abroad, and fundamental research opportunities.
2. A rich supportive community
The campus is in a single beautiful city block. You’ll quickly make significant connections with fellow students and will feel at home in your new surroundings. If you feel loved and cared for, you’ll be able to achieve more.
Saint Mary’s University offers one and two-bedroom residences for families of students, graduate students, and other individuals who qualify. In addition, the South End of Halifax offers a variety of student housing choices in a vibrant urban environment. In this area, you’ll have access to the campus and Downtown, the green spaces, and great local amenities. For information on Family and Graduate Housing monthly rental rates, visit smu.ca/campus-life/family-and-graduate-housing.
3. Professors that know you
With an average class size of only 40, You will not just feel part of the group but be able to become familiar with your instructors. By having access to instructors who care about your academic success and future, you will receive the type of assistance that can make a difference.
4. The legacy of academic excellence
Most of our full-time professors have attained their Ph.D., which is higher than any other institution in Ontario. The highly skilled professors have a wealth of knowledge in the classroom to your advantage, and our extensive network of alums brings the real world to your doorstep. Academic and health, career, and admissions help are available if you need assistance throughout your journey.
5. An abundance of opportunities to conduct research
If you’re in the middle of your academic journey, look at the numerous graduate programs that we provide (including those that are the only ones in the local area).
Saint Mary’s Masters Programs (International Master of Teaching English)
The Saint Mary’s International Master of Teaching English program (IMTE) will prepare graduates for international English teacher jobs. Saint Mary’s masters programs confers the most sought-after Master’s degree in teaching English in the context of An International Language.
Estimated Tuition Fees for Saint Mary’s University Programs
International Students Student Fee: $24,000 (approximately $6,000 per term). Fees are due in four equal installments at the beginning of every term. For fees for miscellaneous and international health insurance offered by the University, use the Graduate Calculator for Tuition and Fees.
All applicants will be considered automatically for scholarships for entry, which can be up to $4,000. The scholarships are awarded competitively to applicants with the highest score following an assessment by the admissions panel.
The Key Benefits Of Saint Mary’s Masters Programs
- IMTE students develop a solid theoretical base in the English teaching profession’s critical aspects and the practical skills they need through the extensive practicum experience.
- Students pursue their Master’s degrees within an intercultural environment, connecting with other educators from all over the globe. Our 2022 cohort comprises students from twenty countries.
- Saint Mary’s University is a Cambridge University Press & Assessment Authorised Teacher Training Centre (CA-355), part of the world-renowned Cambridge University. IMTE includes opportunities to achieve internationally-recognized credentials from Cambridge and certificates such as Teaching English Online and Volunteering with Refugees.
- IMTE provides a variety of practicum opportunities in the English Centre that is recognized by Languages Canada and at other locations with community partners. Students can also complete their teaching practicums in partner institutions in more than 15 countries worldwide.
- IMTE provides performance scholarships to assist students in obtaining additional professional certifications; The 17 students from the 2021 cohort have completed the CELTA through the IMTE and a Language Centre scholarship.
- IMTE offers a variety of professional development opportunities. This includes membership with the TESOL International Association TESL Nova Scotia and the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL).
Entry Requirements for Smu Master Programs
The next cohort for St Marys masters available will begin in September of 2023. Applications will be open from September 1, 2022.
IMTE is specifically designed for international students. Canadian citizens aren’t allowed to participate in this program for graduate students. In general, a bachelor’s degree in the field of language studies (especially English) or education is required, along with relevant teaching experiences. However, a background in academics in different areas could be considered acceptable. It is the IMTE admissions committee evaluates every applicant on an individual basis to assess applicants’ qualifications.
Students interested in applying to this IMTE course from Saint Mary’s University must submit the following information:
- An Online application form along with the processing fee of $110 (non-refundable)
- Transcripts for all universities as well as colleges where students have been
- Please consult IMTE for specific country-specific GPA requirements
- A notarized transcription is necessary if the transcripts are written in a different language than English.
- Three recommendation forms.
- At the very least, one should come from an academic reference
- The letter of intent should explain the reason you’re interested in an education career in this field, including any prior teaching experience
- A CV/resume that is current
- The official evidence of English proficiency (applicants with a first language that is not English
- IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall, with no band lower than 6.0
- TOEFL iBT must be at least 80 and no band lower than 20
- Other tests of proficiency scores will be accepted
The deadline to submit online the required application fees for Saint Mary’s masters programs(SMU masters degree) is May 1, 2023. All documents required must be submitted to the University before May 31, 2023.
We urge students to submit their applications for Saint Mary’s masters programs early since we will issue admissions to those qualified on a first come- first offered basis.
For more details about Saint Mary’s masters programs, Email [email protected]